LaTeX forum ⇒ TeX Live and MacTeXTexdoc not found

Information and discussion about TeX Live distribution for all platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X) and the related MacTeX: installing, updating, configuring
hamaryns

Texdoc not found

Postby hamaryns » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:17 am

HI all,

I installed a small version of TL. Then later I did tlmgr install texdoc. Texdoc was installed, but still isn’t found in the PATH. What am I missing? (Same happens with texdoctk.)

Linux Mint 19, 64 bit

Cheers, H.

rais

Postby rais » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi,
tlmgr installs binaries under $TEXMFROOT/bin/<architecture>, AFAIUI.
For $TEXMFROOT you can ask kpsewhich (assuming it's installed):
  1. kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFROOT

<architecture> should be `x86_64-linux' on your system.
If tlmgr's sys_bin option is set, it will also attempt to create a symbolic link in the directory specified (which is usually part of a user's $PATH variable, like /usr/local/bin).
Then again, if this sys_bin option is not set, the binaries directory should be part of the $PATH variable..unless you have to prepend the path to pdflatex & friends to begin with.
What does
  1. which pdflatex

tell you?

BTW: if you're unable to open the documentation to package x, maybe you don't have its documentation installed...
What is the output of
  1. tlmgr option docfiles

on your system?

KR
Rainer

hamaryns

Postby hamaryns » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:54 am

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. Indeed, there is texdoc(tk) in /usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-linux/, but not in /usr/local/bin (pdflatex etc. are there indeed and work).

tlmgr option show tells me docfiles are installed (1), and sys_bin is set to /usr/local/bin. So somehow it knows where to put the symlinks, but it doesn’t.

Ok, reading a bit further in man tlmgr, the only thing I had to do was:

1. $ sudo tlmgr path add

I was in the (naive?) supposition that installing a binary would trigger that automatically. Why not? Can I set that?

Thanks.

rais

Postby rais » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:33 pm

I dunno...perhaps one of TL's mailing lists would be more suited to answer that particular question.
OTOH, if you already know your problem's caused by a missing symbolic link, you could either create such a link yourself or include `kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFROOT`/bin/`tlmgr --print-arch` to your $PATH environment variable, omitting the need for such a symbolic link altogether.

KR
Rainer

Return to “TeX Live and MacTeX”