LaTeX forum ⇒ LyXLyX dispaying incorrect characters in Math Mode - Linux Mint Topic is solved

Information and discussion about LyX, a WYSIWYM editor, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X systems.
Jimmy

LyX dispaying incorrect characters in Math Mode - Linux Mint

Postby Jimmy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I actually asked this question originally on the LaTeX stack exchange and it was suggested I ask here instead. Basically I installed Linux Mint 19.1 a few days ago. Before that I was a Windows user. I installed Texlive-full from the ubuntu repository and then LyX. The problem is that LyX displays the incorrect characters in math mode. For example instead of the greek alphabet when I type "\alpha" or "\beta" it prints bold font English letters "a" and "b". Instead of a minus sign it displays "lyxminus". Some characters are still correct such as epsilon but the majority are wrong. the output PDF is correct. I have tried reinstalling both LyX and TexLive. I think it may be the fonts on Mint itself. I tried to update Mint but that made no difference. If anyone has solved this in the past this or knows how to fix it I will appreciate the help.

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi Jimmy,

welcome to the forum!

Is it a LyX displaying issue, or is the PDF output wrong too?

Can you please post a sample .lyx file, the pdfLaTeX export file (for us LaTeX users without LyX to check the same), and the .log file? The Attachments link is below the text edit field, when writing a post.

Stefan
Site admin

Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the response. It's only in LyX, the output file is fine.

Jimmy
Attachments
lyx screenshot.png
Screenshot
lyx screenshot.png (74.25 KiB) Viewed 392 times
Example.log
.log
(32.54 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Example.lyx
Input
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Example.pdf
Output
(10.9 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Did you install LyX from a (Ubuntu?) repository or from www.lyx.org? Perhaps check the download page for a Debian package that can be installed. (such as by dpkg -i lyx.deb)

It seems to be a LyX issue since it's find in the pdfLaTeX output, or a Mint font rendering issue. If there's a newer version of LyX than you installed, I would give the newer one a try.

Stefan
Site admin

Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks for your help!

The problem now seems to be fixed. I removed LyX from the system entirely and used synaptic package manager to install LyX rather than apt (command line tool). This may have installed a more recent version, as it is the most up to date release available according to https://repology.org/project/lyx/version which is the full list of LyX versions for Linux.

Return to “LyX”