LaTeX forum ⇒ LyXRemoving space after end of title

Information and discussion about LyX, a WYSIWYM editor, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X systems.
pizzapasta
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:24 am

Removing space after end of title

Postby pizzapasta » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:31 am

Hi, I've been playing around with layouts to try and minimize all the space that's created by default, and I can't seem to find a way to adjust how much space there is between the title and body. I'm currently using the Paper layout that comes with LyX, and while it thankfully doesn't separate the title elements to a different page altogether, it still creates some vertical space which I'd like to eliminate, and I couldn't find any way in the layout file or the includes to adjust that. Any help would be appreciated.

User avatar
Johannes_B
Site Moderator
Posts: 3883
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Postby Johannes_B » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:10 am

The space is hardcoded when using \maketitle, which LyX propably uses internally. But you don't need to use a Title at all. If it is just for one document, just do it like you would do with a word processor. Put some bold text where you need it.


In my opinion, \maketitle is one of the most mis-used, over-used, confused commands that ever existed.

You could also be interested in Customize the titlepage and Title Creation.
The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

User avatar
Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:16 am

Also I think, perhaps just don't make a predefined title page. You could write a simple normal text page in LyX, with centered text, large and big text, bold if needed, and then you start your actual document on the next page. A title page is nothing special, it's a simple text page. No references, no gimmicks, just a bit (usually centered) text that's a bit arranged on the page.

Stefan
Site admin

pizzapasta
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:24 am

Postby pizzapasta » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:56 am

Johannes_B wrote:The space is hardcoded when using \maketitle, which LyX propably uses internally.


That's... annoying.

Johannes_B wrote:But you don't need to use a Title at all. If it is just for one document, just do it like you would do with a word processor. Put some bold text where you need it.


Yeah, I'm going with this. Unfortunate, but thanks for your help.

Stefan Kottwitz wrote:Also I think, perhaps just don't make a predefined title page. You could write a simple normal text page in LyX, with centered text, large and big text, bold if needed, and then you start your actual document on the next page. A title page is nothing special, it's a simple text page. No references, no gimmicks, just a bit (usually centered) text that's a bit arranged on the page.

Stefan


I was trying to fit the title onto the same page as the content to make a one-page document, that's the thing.

User avatar
Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:41 pm

pizzapasta wrote:I was trying to fit the title onto the same page as the content to make a one-page document, that's the thing.


You can do that to. As you use LyX, you are limited to LyX templates or need to change them yourself. If you would use LaTeX, I could easily give a code line to fix. LyX is nice and easy but a somehow template-ish.

Anyway, after the title you could insert negative space (if LyX can do) or ERT (TeX code) \vspace{-50pt} for example.

Stefan
Site admin


Return to “LyX”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests