LaTeX forum ⇒ MiKTeX and proTeXtCan't Get to Package Repository

Information and discussion about MikTeX distribution for Windows and the related proTeXt: Installing, updating, configuring
Singularity

Can't Get to Package Repository

Postby Singularity » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:36 pm

I think my MikTeX can't find the Package Repository. How do I change where it looks for the repository?

I'm trying to download the mathpazo package, but I keep getting "No Data" and "get host by name failed in tcp_connect(). See the pictures.

I tried to change the package repository, but even that gets a similar error. In Package Manager (running as admin), chose Repository -- Change Package Repository... -- Packages shall be installed from the internet -- Next (see: PackageRepository.PNG.

I've tried updating individual packages and various other things, but always get pretty much the same response (see: NoData.PNG). The exception was when I tried refreshing the FNDB, which worked (well, didn't report any errors).

Notes:
  • I'm running MikTex v 2.9.5700.
  • I'm running as an administrator on Windows 7.
  • This is my home computer and I do not have a Proxy Server (see: WindowsProxy.PNG)
  • I tried turning off my Firewall (only briefly!) and received the same error

I suspect MikTeX is looking in the wrong place for something, probably the list of servers to look for. How do I change where MikTeX's looking?
Attachments
NoData.PNG
NoData.PNG (44.75 KiB) Viewed 566 times
PackageRepository.PNG
PackageRepository.PNG (46.11 KiB) Viewed 566 times
WindowsProxy.PNG
WindowsProxy.PNG (3.05 KiB) Viewed 566 times

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:54 pm

It seems that MiKTeX is not even able to get the list of repositories. Looks like it cannot reach the main server. It seems to be online though: https://miktex.org/pkg/repositories.

Can you access that link on your computer?

With some effort one can install packages using a local repository, by downloading the required packages from http://mirrors.ctan.org/systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages/ and the (two?) catalogue files (miktex-zz-*) to some new folder, and use that folder as local repository.

But perhaps give TeX Live a try. It can be installed over the internet. Perhaps check if you can really access the TeX Live download before you uninstall MiKTeX. TeX Live has a very good package management and is well maintained. I use it since many years.

Stefan
Site admin

Singularity

Postby Singularity » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Yes, I can see that link. "MikTeX Package Repositories". Shows 10 entries. Changed to 100 and got a longer list.

Does TeX Live replace MikTeX? Will I have to reconfigure TeXnicCenter? Suppose I just (relearn how to and) install MikTeX? Does that require me to reconfigure TeXnicCenter?

Return to “MiKTeX and proTeXt”