LaTeX forum ⇒ BibTeX, biblatex and biberbiblatex unicode error Topic is solved

Information and discussion about BiBTeX - the bibliography tool for LaTeX documents.
jnabasny
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:40 am

biblatex unicode error

Postby jnabasny » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:08 am

I'm getting a strange unicode error that I've traced back to the bib file. Whenever I try to cite this one online source, I get two unicode-related errors even though there aren't any special symbols in the bib entry. These are the errors, which both get triggered by the \autocite and \printbibliography lines:

! Package inputenc Error: Unicode character € (U+0080)
(inputenc) not set up for use with LaTeX.

! Package inputenc Error: Unicode character ™ (U+0099)
(inputenc) not set up for use with LaTeX.


My TeX code:

Code: [Select all] [Expand/Collapse] [Download] ({untitled.tex})
  1. \documentclass{book}
  2.  
  3. \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
  4. \usepackage[notes,strict,backend=biber,autolang=other,%
  5. bibencoding=latin1,booklongxref=false,compresspages]{biblatex-chicago}
  6. \addbibresource{biblio.bib}
  7.  
  8. \begin{document}
  9.  
  10. Test.\autocite{gs:pci}
  11.  
  12. \printbibliography
  13.  
  14. \end{document}


The bib entry:

@Online{gs:pci,
title = {Translation: Chapter 1 of Simondon’s Psychic and Collective Individuation},
organization = {Speculative Heresy},
url = {http://speculativeheresy.wordpress.com/2008/10/06/translation-chapter-1-of-simondons-psychic-and-collective-individuation/},
urldate = {2008-10-06},
shorttitle = {Chapter 1 of Simondon},
}


I've tried erasing each line of the bib entry separately to pin-point the problem, but I seem to get an error every time regardless. I appreciate any tips you can share on resolving this issue!

User avatar
Ijon Tichy
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:12 am

Postby Ijon Tichy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:56 am

Why do you use latin1 to encode you bib-file? One of the advantages of bblatex + biber is, that you can use utf8 for all files, even the bib-file. Here
Code: [Select all] [Expand/Collapse] [Download] (test-works.tex)
  1. \begin{filecontents*}{\jobname.bib}
  2. @Online{gs:pci,
  3. title = {Translation: Chapter 1 of Simondon’s Psychic and Collective Individuation},
  4. organization = {Speculative Heresy},
  5. url = {http://speculativeheresy.wordpress.com/2008/10/06/translation-chapter-1-of-simondons-psychic-and-collective-individuation/},
  6. urldate = {2008-10-06},
  7. shorttitle = {Chapter 1 of Simondon},
  8. }
  9. \end{filecontents*}
  10. \documentclass{book}
  11.  
  12. %\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}% Not needed with LaTeX since 2018-04-01.
  13. \usepackage[notes,strict,backend=biber,autolang=other,%
  14. %bibencoding=latin1,% The bib file ist utf8-encoded now.
  15. booklongxref=false,compresspages]{biblatex-chicago}
  16. \addbibresource{\jobname.bib}
  17.  
  18. \begin{document}
  19.  
  20. Test.\autocite{gs:pci}
  21.  
  22. \printbibliography
  23.  
  24. \end{document}

works without any error. However, I would replace the by '. This should also solve your problem, if the bib-file is really latin1-encoded (but you should be sure, that this is the case!).

jnabasny
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:40 am

Postby jnabasny » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:10 pm

That worked, thanks Ijon!

I'm new to latex and took the preamble line from a tutorial. I completely overlooked the fact that it was calling a different kind of encoding.


Return to “BibTeX, biblatex and biber”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests