LaTeX forum ⇒ BibTeX, biblatex and biberReferences cited with additional Information

Information and discussion about BiBTeX - the bibliography tool for LaTeX documents.
BinaryBen

References cited with additional Information

Postby BinaryBen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:58 pm

How can we include misc information from the bibliography - e.g., citation count, year, journal details etc.
  1. @article{name07,
  2. Author = {Lastname},
  3. Date-Added = {2007-09-06 11:28:24 +0200},
  4. Date-Modified = {2007-09-06 11:29:24 +0200},
  5. Journal = {Journal of Sth},
  6. Title = {Title},
  7. Year = {2007},
  8. Misc = {Some details}
  9. }

However, can we reference the citation and include it in the main document?

e.g.:
  1. \cite{name07}[Misc] % i.e., go to the bib and include 'Misc' information here?

Thanks
Ben

Tags:

kaiserkarl13

Postby kaiserkarl13 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:53 pm

You can include any information you want as part of the citation in the "note" field.

I'm not 100% certain what you want to do for the second one. If your question is, "is there a way to output one field from a BibTeX-generated bibliography using a command," then the answer is "no" unless you write both a package that redefines the \cite command (like natbib) and a bibliography style to go with it. That will only work if the key is something that contains all the information you need; see how natbib is written for details.

If you're looking to create a non-standard BibTeX field (such as "misc") and then add it to the bibliography in some manner, that can be done---you would have to write your own bibliography style file to do so, but it can be done. I have found the "Tame the BeaST" document on CTAN to be useful in learning the BibTeX language.

Return to “BibTeX, biblatex and biber”