LaTeX forum ⇒ GeneralIn-text Figures in APA Manual

LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.
awetawef

In-text Figures in APA Manual

Postby awetawef » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:35 pm

Hello,

I need in-text figures in apa. However, this document class does not allow this to happen (they are pushed to the end of the paper). How can I edit the class file to change this?

Also, how can I disable the figure list that is automatically put in in APA style?

Thanks.

Tags:

localghost
Site Moderator

Postby localghost » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:53 pm

awetawef wrote:[…] I need intext figures in \documentclass[man]{apa}. However, this document class does not allow this to happen (they are pushed to the end of the paper). How can I edit the apa.cls file to change this? […]

There is no need to edit the original class. The right parameters for placement will do the trick.
  1. \begin{figure}[!ht]
  2. % Contents of figure
  3. \end{figure}

awetawef wrote:[…] Also, how can I disable the figure list that is automatically put in in apa style? […]

I don't know the apa class, but I found no information that this is done automatically. Check your source code for a \listoffigures command. Perhaps the outline of the class has more information for you.

Best regards and welcome to the board
Thorsten¹
LaTeX Community Moderator
How to make a "Minimal Example"
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes

¹ System: openSUSE 42.2 (Linux 4.4.52), TeX Live 2016 (vanilla), TeXworks 0.6.1

awetawef

Postby awetawef » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Thank you for your response; however, using the parameters [!ht] does not fix the problem. I believe it is hard-coded into the document class. The figures still appear at the end of the paper.

I suppose that I would OK with them appearing at the end of the paper if the had captions, but the captions are not displayed at the end of the paper. I get something like this (just showing what the output is, not actual tex):

Figure Captions:
1. blah
2. blah

\newpage

figure 1 here (no caption)

\newpage

figure 2 here (no caption)

Any idea how I can get the captions to show up?

Just to clear things up, here is the code I am using to display a figure:
  1. \begin{figure}[!ht]
  2. \centering
  3. \subfigure[Direction Field for $K=0$, $C=-1$]{
  4. \includegraphics[scale=.5]{pics/data-0-1.jpeg}
  5. \label{fig:curv0-1-1}
  6. }
  7. \subfigure[Surface for $K=0$, $C=-1$]{
  8. \includegraphics[scale=.5]{pics/data-0-2.jpg}
  9. \label{fig:curv0-1-2}
  10. }
  11. \caption[Solution for $K=0$, $C=-\frac{1}{5}$]{Solution for $K=0$, $C=-1$}
  12. \label{fig:curv0-1}
  13. \end{figure}

rcassidy

Postby rcassidy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:30 am

APA format dictates that the floats go after the reference list and before any appendices. To override this feature, try adding floatsintext as an optional argument in the document class.
  1. \documentclass[man,floatsintext]{apa6}

localghost
Site Moderator

Postby localghost » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:22 pm

rcassidy wrote:APA format dictates that the floats go after the reference list and before any appendices. To override this feature, try adding floatsintext as an optional argument in the document class. […]

At the time the question has been asked here — which is almost five(!) years ago — the apa6 class didn't exist. And the old apa class doesn't offer this option.
LaTeX Community Moderator
How to make a "Minimal Example"
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes

¹ System: openSUSE 42.2 (Linux 4.4.52), TeX Live 2016 (vanilla), TeXworks 0.6.1

Return to “General”