LaTeX forum ⇒ GeneralFailed to find file "C:\ ....; perhaps it has been deleted Topic is solved

LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.
sama6a

Failed to find file "C:\ ....; perhaps it has been deleted

Postby sama6a » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Dear all,

I am new to LateX and to this community so pardon me if I am posting in the wrong place.

I just wrote a simple file
  1. \documentclass{article}
  2. \usepackage{amsmath}
  3. \begin{document}
  4. \title{MY first Latex trial}
  5. \maketitle
  7. \begin{equation}
  8. x = y + z
  9. \end{equation}
  10. \end{document}

when I hit compile nothing happens, when I hit build and view, I got the msg I wrote in the title (Failed to find file C:\.... .pdf) perhaps it has been deleted.

I searched the mentioned file and found that the file extention is tex not pdf.

I checked my options (options>Configure TeXStudio> Build) and it is set on PdfLatex as the main compiler

I don't know what is wrong, your help is highly appreciated

Regards, Sama6a
Last edited by cgnieder on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code markup

Tags:

kaiserkarl13

Postby kaiserkarl13 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:45 am

Try running pdflatex directly on the .tex file. Your example worked for me.

If it works with that, then you have a problem with TeXstudio or whatever other program you're using as a front-end. I don't have much help for you there, as I typically avoid such front end for this exact reason (they obscure problems).

kaveman909

Postby kaveman909 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:05 am

I ran into this, and found it frustrating that no one could provide the simple answer, which was my problem: I hadn't installed a LaTeX backend, which is required to Compile, View, etc.

To check if this is the problem, go to Options - Configure TeXstudio...
Under "Commands", see if most of the entries are <unknown>. If that's the case, you need to install something like miktex (see below).

On Windows, go to http://miktex.org/, download and run the installer. Once that's done, re-launch TeXstudio. Check back in the above referenced "Commands" window, and you should see the majority of them populated. Now you can do everything.

Return to “General”