LaTeX forum ⇒ GeneralWick Contractions in Text Mode Topic is solved

LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.
Linguist

Wick Contractions in Text Mode

Postby Linguist » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:48 am

Hi all,

I'm currently typesetting a linguistics paper. I'm looking for a way to draw 'linking lines' between two arguments in an example sentence in order to show that that they are co-referential.

Something similar to the wick contractions provided by the simplewick package, though functioning in text mode, would be great.

I'm looking for a more flexible way to achieve what is achieved with the following code.
  1. \documentclass{report}
  2. \usepackage{covington}
  3. \begin{document}
  5. \begin{example}
  6. \gll \emph{John saw himself.}
  7. \hspace{5mm}\rule{0.15mm}{3mm}\rule{17mm}{0.15mm}\rule{0.15mm}{3mm}
  8. \gln
  9. \glend
  10. \end{example}
  11. \end{document}

Finally, if it's possible to have more than one 'linking line' to indicate that an argument can have more than one possible referent, that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

Tags:

Linguist

Postby Linguist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:16 pm

A partial solution to this problem is to load the xytree package as in the following code:

1. \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{report}
  2. \usepackage{covington, xytree}
  4. \begin{document}
  6. \begin{example}
  7. \xytext{\xybarnode{Alfred}\xybarconnect[2][-](D,D){4} & \xybarnode{described} & \xybarnode{Bob}\xybarconnect[4][-](D,D){2} & \xybarnode{to} & \xybarnode{himself.}}
  8. \end{example}
  10. \end{document}

Note, however, that this solution does NOT allow word by word glosses, as the use of the command \xytext{} means that all text enclosed in the braces is considered a single word for the purposes of glossing.

Linguist

Postby Linguist » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:26 pm

I stumbled across a solution to this problem today while looking for a solution to another problem. (pst-asr slow compile)

The way to do what I wanted to do (have a glossed example with a linking line between two words while maintaining the gloss alignment) can be found here http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/140142/movement-arrow-in-gloss

Looks like the 1st day of 2015 was my lucky LaTeX day!

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:38 pm

Great that you found a solution!

Next time I will post at least a TikZ based one. ;-)

Stefan
Site admin

Return to “General”