LaTeX forum ⇒ Fonts & Character SetsStrange error: a font that is already there and... isn't. Topic is solved

Information and discussion about fonts and character sets (e.g. how to use language specific characters)
Leszek Luchowski
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Strange error: a font that is already there and... isn't.

Postby Leszek Luchowski » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:42 am

Hello, and greetings to all from a first-time poster.

I've had to reinstall MikTeX after a system update, and a file which used to compile all right is now returning a strange error:

Trying to make PK font ecbx1000 at 600 DPI...
The PK font file C:\Users\lleszek\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.8\fonts/pk/ljfour/jknappen/ec/dpi600\ already exists.

LaTeX Warning: There were undefined references.

(see the transcript file for additional information)
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file ecbx1000): Font ecbx1000 at 600 not found
==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
texify: pdflatex failed for some reason (see log file).

I am perplexed. First, it says the font cannot be created because it's already there. Then it says the font cannot be found.

To make it even more frustrating, my source file never explicitly uses this particular font (at any scale), so it must be somewhere inside some macro in some package...

For what it's worth, I am now using pdflatex to add picture files in .eps format (it's while googling for ways to do that that I came across this forum). My old LaTeX environment accepted .eps as its native image format, so to speak.

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere already, but I drew a blank (quite a few blanks, in fact) when looking for it, perhaps because I didn't know exactly what keywords to look for.

Thank you in advance for your helpfulness,

Leszek Luchowski
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Postby Leszek Luchowski » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Groping helplessly for a solution, I deleted the whole "jknappen" directory subtree where the font in question supposedly was (except that it wasn't, that is). Worked like a charm.

I still don't have a clue what was going on, but at least now I can get back to working on my text, not on my MikTeX installation.

Thanks to all who read my original post and tried to think of an answer.

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:13 pm

Postby prasad3130 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks for posting how you resolved your issue. I followed similar step - I renamed public (that is what is under ljfour/) and when I tried to run miktex it created the public folder with pk files in it and was able to generate the pdf. It is in fact strange.

Return to “Fonts & Character Sets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests