LaTeX forum ⇒ Page LayoutBigfoot with marginpar creates "Dimension too large" error

Information and discussion about page layout specific issues (e.g. header and footer lines, page formats, page numbers).
sujato

Bigfoot with marginpar creates "Dimension too large" error

Postby sujato » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:03 am

I am compiling a document that includes the `bigfoot` package with the `para` option, and also has `\marginpar`. If I compile a short paragraph with these options it goes through fine, but any length to it and it spits out a "Dimension too large" error.

This may be the same problem reported here https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/comp.text.tex/bigfoot/comp.text.tex/O1wKdgxofVs/YYGw6m82KCIJ, where the package author says that the then-current dev version didn't seem to have the problem. He offered to share the dev version privately, but later doesn't seem to be responding to messages and emails. (I hope he's ok!) The dev package doesn't seem to be available in the stated repository, either.

So I need to either adjust what I'm doing somehow, or, perhaps, use the dev version if that is available anywhere. Any ideas?

Here is an MWE. Note that this is actually a *working* example, to demonstrate what I want to achieve. To get the bug, simply duplicate the paragraph. Even such a limited expansion of the text is too much, whereas I want to compile a document of around 750,000 words, with some tens of thousands of margin notes and footnotes.

1. \documentclass{book}
  2. \usepackage{bigfoot}
  3. \AtBeginDocument{%
  4. \RestyleFootnote{default}{para}}
  5. \begin{document}
  6. \marginpar{Test}Lorem ipsum\footnote{Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. Long note. } dolor sit amet,\footnote{Note.} sed purto conclusionemque\footnote{Note.} et, \marginpar{Test} in luptatum efficiantur sea.
  7. \end{document}

Tags:

Return to “Page Layout”