LaTeX forum ⇒ Text FormattingToo much vertical blank space in multicolumn text Topic is solved

Information and discussion about LaTeX's general text formatting features (e.g. bold, italic, enumerations, ...)
Alkkem

Too much vertical blank space in multicolumn text

Postby Alkkem » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:36 am

Hi! I've got the following problem: when it comes to a multicolumn text in a \multicol environment, LaTeX automatically tries to add/substract white spaces between elements (text blocks, figures, section headers, etc.) to fit every single element in an exact page, in order not to break aligned equations and that sort of things.

It is a useful approach, but the result is sometimes quite ugly. Is there a way to prevent that from happening? Or I will have to resize every element individually in order to obtain the result I want? :?

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi Alkkem,

welcome to the forum!

You could use the command \raggedcolumns either globally or local directly after \begin{multicols}{...}.

Stefan
Site admin

Alkkem

Postby Alkkem » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:00 am

Stefan Kottwitz wrote:Hi Alkkem,

welcome to the forum!

You could use the command \raggedcolumns either globally or local directly after \begin{multicols}{...}.

Stefan

Wow! Thank you very much Stefan! This was exactly the solution I was looking for. I still can't believe I couldn't find it anywhere else :lol:

Return to “Text Formatting”