LaTeX forum ⇒ Text Formattingenumerating equations/formulas

Information and discussion about LaTeX's general text formatting features (e.g. bold, italic, enumerations, ...)
denommenator

enumerating equations/formulas

Postby denommenator » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:17 am

Imagine this scenario: you are writing a homework assignment and many of the questions are multi-part, e.g. `find the derivative of the following functions,'

Now when it comes to listing the equations to differentiate I want to use an enumerate kind of format so that the functions are listed with a number before each one. The functions should be left justified, so I could just use enumerate and put dollar signs around each function (which is already tedious), but for readability, I also need all the equations to be displaystyle, they aren't inline text anyway.

How can I accomplish this? Is there an enumerate hack like the one for tabular where you can make a specific column in mathmode:

1. \begin{tabular}{c | >{$}c <{$}} ... %First col textmode, 2nd col mathmode

Tags:

Johannes_B
Site Moderator

Postby Johannes_B » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:57 am

Usually, displayed math environments are used for such a purpose, they are automatically numbered.
  1. \documentclass[leqno]{article}
  2. \usepackage{mathtools}
  3. \begin{document}
  4. \begin{gather}
  5. a+b \\
  6. c+d\\
  7. \sum_{i}^{k}
  8. \end{gather}
  9. \end{document}
The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:38 am

Hi,

and welcome to the forum!

There are further ways, such as align if you would like to have left alignment for the functions:

1. \documentclass[leqno]{article}
  2. \usepackage{mathtools}
  3. \begin{document}
  4. \begin{align}
  5. & a+b+c \\
  6. & c+d\\
  7. & \sum_{i}^{k}
  8. \end{align}
  9. \end{document}

More can be read in the amsmath manual. Or let us know, if something needs to be adjusted.

Stefan
Site admin

Return to “Text Formatting”