LaTeX forum ⇒ Text Formattingproblem with font size

Information and discussion about LaTeX's general text formatting features (e.g. bold, italic, enumerations, ...)
dragonspirit

problem with font size

Postby dragonspirit » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi, I have a problem with these packages:

1. \documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article} %definisce la classe del documento
  2. \usepackage[OT2,T1]{fontenc}
  3. \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
  4. \usepackage[italian]{babel}
  5. \usepackage{graphicx}
  6. % elimina l'indentazione all'inizio del capoverso
  7. \usepackage[parfill]{parskip}
  8. \usepackage[width=17.00cm, height=24.00cm]{geometry}

I'm unable to set the size of the main font in the document class declaration. TexStudio give me an error if I use the fontenc package with a font size declaration different from 10pt.

Can anyone help me?
Last edited by Stefan Kottwitz on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: code marked

Tags:

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us the error message?

Stefan
Site admin

dragonspirit

Postby dragonspirit » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:03 pm

1. Processo avviato: pdflatex.exe -synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode "frontespizio (1)".tex
  3. Trying to make PK font ecrm1095 at 600 DPI...
  5. miktex-makepk.exe
  7. : Permission denied: C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Temp\mik51320 miktex-makepk.exe: Data: C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Temp\mik51320
  9. Il processo è terminato con uno o più errori

this is the error message
Last edited by cgnieder on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: code markup added

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:01 pm

It looks like a problem of the MiKTeX installation, a permission issue. The compiler cannot write there. MiKTeX can be installed in admin mode and user mode, which are different, perhaps you chose the wrong way. I don't use MiKTeX, so I just can guess. I use TeX Live. I remember there was a recommendation to install MiKTeX in user mode into the user space, to avoid all issues. Makes no difference anyway on a single user PC.

Stefan
Site admin

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:12 pm

By the way, the newest MiKTeX version 2.9 is nearly 5 years old (Oct 2010), whereas TeX Live 2015 has been published this month. No problem, MiKTeX is stable and maintained, just a remark, if you consider a re-installation in case it still doesn't work anyway.

Stefan
Site admin

Johannes_B
Site Moderator

Postby Johannes_B » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:18 pm

Please load package lmodern after \documentclass{article}.
The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

dragonspirit

Postby dragonspirit » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:19 am

thank you for yours advices.
Can I re-install MikTex without unistall Texstudio? Or have I to unistall everything?

Johannes_B
Site Moderator

Postby Johannes_B » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:37 am

Before making drastic changes to your system, i would check out if loading package lmodern suffices to take care of the problem.
If not, get your MikTeX package manager and install package cm-super.

If the behaviour still persists, reinstall MikTeX. The complete version is several Gigabytes large, TeXstudio a few Megabytes. Be sure and reinstall both.
The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:06 am

I agree with Johannes. The problem here is, according to the error message, with the ecrm font. The long name of this font is European Computer Modern Roman Medium. Installing cm-super could fix it, as this is an extended version of the (default) Computer Modern font. No change in the document necessary. However, changing to lmodern instead is the smallest step, and this is intended as a high quality replacement of the Computer Modern, so very similar. I use it very often. You could simply insert into the preamble

1. \usepackage{lmodern}

If you would not like it, remove the line then.

Stefan
Site admin

Return to “Text Formatting”