LaTeX forum ⇒ LyXusthesis.layout / usthesis.lyx no longer working? Topic is solved

Information and discussion about LyX, a WYSIWYM editor, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X systems.
Chavoux

usthesis.layout / usthesis.lyx no longer working?

Postby Chavoux » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi all,

I wrote my thesis using the usthesis class / layout / .lyx file, but can no longer export to .pdf (using pdflatex). My computer crashed and I had to re-install Linux (and all my programs, including LaTeX and LyX). Now, when trying to show/update pdf, I get the error message:
"Package babel Error: Unknown option `afrikaans'. Either you misspelled it (babel) or the language definition file afrikaans.ldf was not found."

"afrikaans" is one of the languages used by the usthesis class, but I cannot find it in CTAN or in the debian repository.

I suppose that I missed something during the re-installation of LyX / LaTeX?

Thanks in advance,
Chavoux

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi Chavoux,

welcome to the forum!

Perhaps you installed an older version of babel. Some version added Afrikaans support, a version of Dutch. (You could load Dutch instead)

Can you perhaps post your .log file here, as attachment? The Attachments link is below the text edit field, when writing a post.

Stefan
Site admin

Chavoux

Postby Chavoux » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the welcome!

Attached is the Error message in LyX itself (as screenshot) and the output that shows when I click on "View Complete Log" (saved as pdfTeX.log). It looks like a Babel error to me (Line 178). Also attached the configure.log in my .lyx/ directory. I am not sure to which log file you refer?

As a workaround I could change the usthesis class / style / layout files so it does not require Afrikaans anymore, since I actually only need Afrikaans for a single page (the Summary/Abstract in Afrikaans) and my spelling and grammar of Afrikaans is good enough to do without the spell-checking, but I have no idea how to do this (in the usthesis.afr? usthesis.cls? usthesis.layout? usthesis.lyx? somewhere else?). Of course, then I will also have to do without the Afrikaans hyphenation, but for a single page, I can survive without it.

Thanks for the help. I think I might actually have a newer version of LyX now than before (when everything was still working), but I am not sure, since the laptop crashed.

Cheers
Chavoux
Attachments
configure.log
(75.94 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
pdfTeX.log
(152.43 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
LyX_error_20190402_164711.png
LyX_error_20190402_164711.png (211.38 KiB) Viewed 414 times

Chavoux

Postby Chavoux » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:42 pm

I still have no idea exactly which package saved me... in the end I installed texlive-lang-all (500+ MB!) and my problem was fixed. I had texlive-lang-african, texlive-lang-english, and texlive-lang-other installed before, which did not solve my problem (although Afrikaans hyphenation is found in texlive-lang-other). I will later (once my thesis corrections are all done!) uninstall the texlive-lang-* packages one by one until I find the guilty party.

But this is just to help somebody else who might get stuck with this.

Return to “LyX”