LaTeX forum ⇒ LyXadd local .sty and class files

Information and discussion about LyX, a WYSIWYM editor, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X systems.
ExecutorElassus

add local .sty and class files

Postby ExecutorElassus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Presently, my texlive installation stores .sty and .cls files is any of hundreds of subdirectories under /usr/share/texmf-{dist,site}/latex/tex/. There appear to be class definitions, for example, for half a dozen different CV styles, from KOMA-Script and any number of others.

Trouble is, my installation of LyX doesn't see any of them, and instead only lists (under Document→Settings→Document Class) the three or four default classes that shipped with LyX itself.

How can I gain access to all the rest of these document class definitions? Using Tools→Reconfigure doesn't seem to help.

Cheers,

EE

Tags:

scottkosty
Site Moderator

Postby scottkosty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Are those files found with kpsewhich?

ExecutorElassus

Postby ExecutorElassus » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 am

Well, I get this output when I search for one of them:

1. # kpsewhich koma-moderncvclassic.sty
  2. /usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/koma-moderncvclassic/koma-moderncvclassic.sty

So I assume that yes, kpsewhich is able to find them. But they don't show up on Lyx's dropdown menu of available document classes, so how do I get access to them?

scottkosty
Site Moderator

Postby scottkosty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Ah, that's because you have to have a layout file to be able to use the class in LyX. It can be difficult to learn how to make a layout file. If you want to go down that path, you can read Help > Customization. There is also some information on the web. see, e.g. https://wiki.lyx.org/Layouts/Layouts

ExecutorElassus

Postby ExecutorElassus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:49 pm

ah, thank you for the tip. I'll start reading tutorials. Is there a way to batch-generate layout files? I have probably dozens of .sty and class files as part of my distro; I'd like to avoid having to generate each one manually if I can.

But thank you for the tip. I'll proceed with educating myself and come back if I get stuck.

Cheers,

EE
UPDATE: OK, I created a new layout file, based on the moderncv one, and now I get a bunch of errors about commands being already defined, as follows:

1. ) (/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/koma-moderncvclassic/koma-moderncvclassic.st
  2. y
  3. Package: koma-moderncvclassic 2012/01/04 v0.5
  4. (/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/marvosym/marvosym.sty
  5. Package: marvosym 2011/07/20 v2.2 Martin Vogel's Symbols font definitions
  7. ! LaTeX Error: Command \fax already defined.
  8. Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.
  10. See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
  11. Type H <return> for immediate help.
  12. ...
  14. l.101 \newcommand\fax{\mvchr{116}}
  16. Your command was ignored.
  17. Type I <command> <return> to replace it with another command,
  18. or <return> to continue without it.

And then output is just a couple lines from the preamble and nothing else.

What did I configure wrong here?

ExecutorElassus

Postby ExecutorElassus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:45 pm

Update: I'm still having trouble here with the "already defined" error on the cv file. Likewise, I'm having trouble getting access to the invoice class.

I have the file:

/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/invoice/invoice.{sty,def}

which should provide access to new section types and whatever other tools I might need to create an invoice. But following the instructions at the link you gave, or reading the Customization help file, didn't provide me with the answers I'm looking for. I did create a file invoice.layout in my .lyx local layouts directory, which reads:

1. #% Do not delete the line below; configure depends on this
  2. # \DeclareLaTeXClass[scrlttr2, invoice.sty]{KOMA-Script Letter/invoice (V. 2)}
  3. # \DeclareCategory{Letters}
  4. # KOMA scrlettr2 textclass definition file.
  5. # Juergen Spitzmueller <spitz@lyx.org>, 2003/2/17.
  6. # Uwe Stöhr <uwestoehr@web.de>, 2008/2/03.
  8. Preamble
  9. \usepackage{invoice}
  10. EndPreamble

at the top of the file, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Can you give me some guidance?

Cheers,

EE

Return to “LyX”