LaTeX forum ⇒ LyXLyx and Winedt Topic is solved

Information and discussion about LyX, a WYSIWYM editor, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X systems.
pireddag

Lyx and Winedt

Postby pireddag » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:41 pm

I have installed Lyx and I found out it was not anymore possible to generate pdf documents out of .tex files using Winedt.

I forgot the details of what I did, but, rather than detailed advice, I would like the answer to the following questions: what is the normal way to install Lyx on a computer on which MikTex is already installed? Is it possible to use Winedt (or other Latex editors) after that?

Thanks in advance -

Giovanni

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi Giovanni,

LyX should not interfere with a LaTeX editor such as WinEdt. It should be installed as usual. LyX uses LaTeX (MiKTeX) in the background, but doesn't change it. Even at OS level, LyX should for example change how .lyx files are treated but not treatment of .tex files.

I'm sure that something else is wrong here, with WinEdt or with the document file itself, or something else happened to the MiKTeX installation.

Could you post the .log file of the WinEdt run here?

Stefan
Site admin

pireddag

Postby pireddag » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi,
thanks for the reply. I will try again (I have uninstalled Lyx) and write if it succeeds this time. If not, I will post the log. I assume I have to install Lyx without the MikTex that comes with it, right? (Keep the MikTex I have)

Giovanni

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:48 pm

Yes, keep the already installed MiKTeX.

Stefan
Site admin

pireddag

Postby pireddag » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi again,
I confirm that there is something that does not work. But now I have a hint of what it is.

More in detail.

I am using a computer which has access to network drives. I have a Latex root directory on a network drive. If I install Lyx, MikTeX does not have anymore that directory in its tree.

I have further found out that there are two MikTex settings programs.

In one of them ("administrator") I had *not* set that directory in the Tex roots. In the other (let's call it "user") I had. The reason for it is that in the administrator program I do not see the network drives in the Therefore it seems that LyX forces MikTex to change: it takes the settings from the "administrator" program and not the "user" program. In fact, if I set a Tex root in the MikTex "administrator" settings program (on my local disk, where the administrator program finds it), now WinEdt works correctly.

I have tried to install Lyx both "for all users" and "only for me" and the behaviour is the same.

If I recall correctly, MikTex is installed "for me only", as there was a problem (which I do not recall) when I had installed it "for all users".

So the problem for me I think is solved, I think it would be nice to document it on the Lyx website (the wiki perhaps?). If you need some more info from me, please let me know.
One reason why I found out what is happening is that I tested the Lyx installation on another computer which does not have access to the network and there it worked fine; then I looked at the Tex log on the networked computer (as you suggested) and saw that it could not find the style file I was requesting.

Giovanni

pireddag

Postby pireddag » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:39 pm

I have further found out that there are two MikTex settings programs.

In one of them ("administrator") I had *not* set that directory in the Tex roots. In the other (let's call it "user") I had. The reason for it is that in the administrator program I do not see the network drives in the Therefore it seems that LyX forces MikTex to change: it takes the settings from the "administrator" program and not the "user" program. In fact, if I set a Tex root in the MikTex "administrator" settings program (on my local disk, where the administrator program finds it), now WinEdt works correctly.

And - I had forgotten about all of this since the time I had done it - so that I had to find it out again :-)

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:22 pm

Interesting! I remember that there are issues with either installing as admin or as user, with MiKTeX. For a smoother experience, installing as user is recommended on a single user machine.

I use TeX Live 2017 on Windows, TeX Live always worked fine for me.

Stefan
Site admin

Return to “LyX”