LaTeX forum ⇒ Theses, Books, Title pagesIndex letter-header-design changes after index update

Classicthesis, Bachelor and Master thesis, PhD, Doctoral degree
RJTPlomp

Index letter-header-design changes after index update

Postby RJTPlomp » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi,

To update the Index I run the command(s) in the terminal (osx) as specified in the header of the main.tex:

1) pdflatex main
2) makeindex main.idx -s StyleInd.ist
3) biber main
4) pdflatex main x 2

However after recompiling I find that the design of the headers in the index have slightly changed. The surrounding ocre-line has disappeared somehow from the index letter-header-boxes. And the letter-header-boxes are now square angled instead of rounded. The Index is updated fine otherwise. But I would like to understand while the line is missing, and of course how I get the line back.

Regards,

Roland

Tags:

Johannes_B
Site Moderator

Postby Johannes_B » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Welcome, please telll us which template you are using.
The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

RJTPlomp

Postby RJTPlomp » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi,

Sorry, was under the assumption my post was under the correct template in the forum already.

The template I'm using is: The Legrand Orange Book.

Roland

RJTPlomp

Postby RJTPlomp » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:10 am

@Johannes_B

I was able to figure it out myself.

The problem is in the StyleInd.ist file.

When you download the whole template first time you can find the the main.ind file the design style for the index-letter headers as they are intended to look. So when you compile the template the first time it looks fine.

Then, when you update the Index by running
  1. makeindex main.idx -s StyleInd.ist
the StyleInd.ist file gets into play to rebuild the main.ind file.

The StyleInd.ist file contains a different design for the letter-headers than the main.ind file contains.

The difference is in line 4 of downloaded StyleInd.ist:
  1. heading_prefix "\\vspace*{0.5cm}\\nopagebreak\n\\tikz\\node at (0pt,0pt) [draw=none,fill=ocre!50,line width=1pt,inner sep=5pt]{\\parbox{\\linewidth-2\\fboxsep-2\\fboxrule-2pt}{\\centering\\large\\sffamily\\bfseries\\textcolor{white}{" heading_suffix "}}};\\vspace*{0.2cm}\\nopagebreak\n"

Should be:
  1. heading_prefix "\\vspace*{0.5cm}\\nopagebreak\n\\tikz\\node at (0pt,0pt) [rounded corners=5pt,draw=ocre,fill=ocre!10,line width=1pt,inner sep=5pt]{\\parbox{\\linewidth-2\\fboxsep-2\\fboxrule-2pt}{\\centering\\large\\sffamily\\bfseries\\textcolor{black}{" heading_suffix "}}};\\vspace*{0.2cm}\\nopagebreak\n"

To make the template consistent, this would mean that line 4 of the StyileInd.ist file should be updated.

Thx for your effort.

Regards,

Roland

Vel
Site Moderator

Postby Vel » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:34 am

Hi Roland,

Thanks for pointing this out!

What actually happened was that the template preview PDF and main.ind retained the old index style from v1.4 but the StyleInd.ist was the correct new version. This is obviously misleading as the preview PDF and first compilation would give one style but running makeindex on the StyleInd.ist would produce a second style. I had forgotten to update the main.ind file in the v2.x versions of the template.

This is now updated so that the preview PDF, main.ind and StyleInd.ist match.

If you would like the old style/template, it's still available at http://www.latextemplates.com/templates ... 2/v1.4.zip

@Johannes_B: unfortunately, updating this index has uncovered a bug I missed: the first column of the index does not line up with the second one. Any ideas why?

Cheers,
Vel
Founder and administrator of LaTeXTemplates.com and LaTeXTypesetting.com

Johannes_B
Site Moderator

Postby Johannes_B » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:39 am

Vel wrote:@Johannes_B: unfortunately, updating this index has uncovered a bug I missed: the first column of the index does not line up with the second one. Any ideas why?

I did not consider that a bug looking at the very beginning of the line posted above. An explicit vertical space is supposed to move content on the page. The original author might have had a reasoning there, i don't know.

Just get rid of that vspace.
The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

Return to “Theses, Books, Title pages”