LaTeX forum ⇒ GeneralOpen .tex , compile and PDF creation

LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.
Tolaso

Open .tex , compile and PDF creation

Postby Tolaso » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Can someone compile the following document and create a PDF out of it and send it back to me? If so, I can give him my e-mail account.

IMO_1998_shortlist.tex
(116.42 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

My TeX distribution does not compile this at all. In fact it returns so many errors that I am incompetent at detecting them all. This .tex file is from 2004 so maybe some packages are deprecated. If someone has luck, I thank him in advance.

P.S: I also have a DVI file . If .tex does not respond maybe we could try that.

Tags:

Johannes_B
Site Moderator

Postby Johannes_B » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:43 pm

On line 27, a file called tcilatex.tex is supposed to be input. We don't have this file.

Apart from that, the file you appended is a LaTeX2.09 file, which was superseeded by LaTeX2e in 1994. You gotta update that document. Some packages are loaded, which aren't included in a current TeX Live. But those might have been private packages as well.

If you provide the files tcilatex.tex, thmsa.sty, fancyhea.sty and vf.sty or at least give pointers to those files, somebody might help.

-----
But honestly, i fear it is a bit much to ask somebody to update a file of almost 3000 lines.
However, there are services like Troubleshooting TeX or TeX Consulting that may be able to help for a reasonable price. If you decide for a service like that, please let them know about this forum topic.

-----
If you really just need the DVI converted to pdf, that would probably be easy enough to ask here.
The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi,

just a quick comment (as I am traveling) - converting dvi to pdf is easy, you should have the tools on your computer, such as dvips and then ps2pdf (usual way) or dvipdfmx or so (don't remember). We may assist further (Johannes knows too).

If it's re-working and processing a complex document with many changes: you may need a TeX consultant or a friend who knows TeX and work with him or her directly.

If you work on that big changes: we can help you, but in specific steps. So if you do yourself, and stumble across this or that specific issue, we can help with each, just post a single topic/question here, for each task. We cannot work a whole job, but we can help quickly with each specific problem.

Stefan
Site admin

Tolaso

Postby Tolaso » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks for the answers guys. Actually it won't be necessary anymore since after a long Internet search we managed to find the PDF online. Sorry for upsetting you.

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 pm

No problem, nobody was upset. :-) We were just explaining.

If you need any help with LaTeX later on, just let us know! We can fix this or that issue usually easily.

Stefan
Site admin

Return to “General”