LaTeX forum ⇒ Generalvertical spacing in math

LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.
spiegboy
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:58 am

vertical spacing in math

Postby spiegboy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:12 pm

i write multiline equations in the environment of 'gather', but i dont know how to create vertical space between the equations
i use \smallskip, it doesnt work.

User avatar
gmedina
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: Colombia

Postby gmedina » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi,

an option (if I understood your question correctly):
  1. \documentclass{report}
  2. \usepackage{amsmath}
  3.  
  4. \begin{document}
  5.  
  6. text text text text...
  7. \begin{gather}
  8. A=b\\
  9. C=d\\
  10. D=e\\[4em]
  11. F=g\\[2em]
  12. H=i
  13. \end{gather}
  14. text text text text...
  15.  
  16. \end{document}
1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144,233,...

spiegboy
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:58 am

Postby spiegboy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:56 pm

it works very well, but still one problem

the equations in the gather environment wont break the pape automatically, so making extra blank space between the graphs.
i wonder if the gather environment could be redefined or costomized to make the equations break the page automatically.

thank you very much

User avatar
localghost
Site Moderator
Posts: 9206
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Braunschweig, Germany

Postby localghost » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:01 pm

spiegboy wrote:[...] i wonder if the gather environment could be redefined or costomized to make the equations break the page automatically. [...]

Search the documentation of amsmath for \allowdisplaybreaks and \displaybreak.


Best regards
Thorsten¹
LaTeX Community Moderator
How to make a "Minimal Example"
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes


¹ System: openSUSE 42.2 (Linux 4.4.52), TeX Live 2016 (vanilla), TeXworks 0.6.1

User avatar
Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin
Posts: 8460
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:06 pm

Hi,

if you don't want to adjust the spacing for every line but use the same vertical space after each line you could change the length \jot, try:
  1. \documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
  2. \usepackage{amsmath}
  3. \setlength{\jot}{20pt}
  4. \begin{document}
  5. \begin{gather}
  6. x = 1 \\
  7. y = 2
  8. \end{gather}
  9. \end{document}

Of couse you can change \jot also just locally.

Stefan
Site admin

spiegboy
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:58 am

Postby spiegboy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:12 am

very good trick, thanks a lot!!

Stefan_K wrote:Hi,

if you don't want to adjust the spacing for every line but use the same vertical space after each line you could change the length \jot, try:
  1. \documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
  2. \usepackage{amsmath}
  3. \setlength{\jot}{20pt}
  4. \begin{document}
  5. \begin{gather}
  6. x = 1 \\
  7. y = 2
  8. \end{gather}
  9. \end{document}

Of couse you can change \jot also just locally.

Stefan

spiegboy
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:58 am

Postby spiegboy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:29 am

got it, put \allowdisplaybreaks[2] in the preamble, it works fine
thanks a lot

localghost wrote:
spiegboy wrote:[...] i wonder if the gather environment could be redefined or costomized to make the equations break the page automatically. [...]

Search the documentation of amsmath for \allowdisplaybreaks and \displaybreak.


Best regards
Thorsten¹


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests