LaTeX forum ⇒ GeneralTexNicCEnter Miktex and Packages installation

LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.
giobaxx

TexNicCEnter Miktex and Packages installation

Postby giobaxx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello Guys

I don't use Latex but sometimes we have to install it for some Student and normally we install texniccenter and miktex.
We had to reinstall in one PC both software and they works but when the systems needs new packages ask for admin password.
I'm not an expert, but the user (that has not admin privileges) told me before we reintalled the software she were able to download and install packages by herself without admin privileges.

So my doubt is if previously has some configuration that was permitting that.....??

Tans Giovanni

Tags:

Johannes_B
Site Moderator

Postby Johannes_B » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Why don't you just install the complete MikTeX? Apart from needing a bit more disc space, you don't have to worry about anything.
Basic MikTeX installs about 200 or so package, while a complete install has about 5000.

If the installation was done in user mode, i think no admin rights would be needed.

On the other hand, MikTeX and TeXstudio. I guess you have done it that way for the last 10 years? While MikTeX is perfectly fine, most LaTeX users prefer TeX Live. The current version, TeX Live 2017, was just released last week. It even comes with a slim and easy to use editor called Texworks.
The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

giobaxx

Postby giobaxx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Tanks for the help. I really don't know the world of LaTeX so i'm a bit confusesd. I have installed the software that normaly my cillegue installed. You mean that in Windows i can install miktex and/or texniccenter without Admin right?

Johannes_B
Site Moderator

Postby Johannes_B » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:09 am

What i am sure about, MikTeX has a user mode as well. The user can install packages independent from the administrator.

I am not a Windows user, so cannot really say much,
The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

Return to “General”