LaTeX forum ⇒ Fonts & Character SetsBabel package - Not loading "english"! Topic is solved

Information and discussion about fonts and character sets (e.g. how to use language specific characters)
Tobias_Denmark
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: Copenhagen - Denmark
Contact:

Babel package - Not loading "english"!

Postby Tobias_Denmark » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:28 pm

After updating my Miktex 2.9 packages on Windows (TeXnicCenter 2.02), my script will not load babel languages packages (21/5-2014). See MWE:

  1. \documentclass{article}
  2. \usepackage[english]{babel}
  3. \begin{document}
  4. Hello, who are you today? Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it's hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it's hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.
  5. \end{document}


It gives me the following errors:

1) Package babel Error: Unknown option 'english'. Eiter you misspelled it or the language definition file english.ldf was not found

2) Package babel Error: You haven't specified a language option. See the babel package documentation for explanation.

Any help out there?

Tags:

User avatar
Johannes_B
Site Moderator
Posts: 3584
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Postby Johannes_B » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:25 pm

The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

Tobias_Denmark
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: Copenhagen - Denmark
Contact:

Postby Tobias_Denmark » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:57 am

  • I have tried to delete the .aux file (and all others except the .tex file).
  • I have read other blogs and post for help.
  • The MWE is working fine in "www.writelatex.com".
  • I have found the babel package in MikTex "Package Manager". There is also a "babel-english which is "\Uncategorized". Is that a problem?
  • I have also gone into "Repository->Synchronize". That didn't not help either.

Is it time to re-install MikTex or just delete the babel package?

babel.png
babel.png (92.69 KiB) Viewed 17494 times
Last edited by cgnieder on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: uploaded picture to latex-community server (this is preferable to external links)

Tobias_Denmark
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: Copenhagen - Denmark
Contact:

Postby Tobias_Denmark » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:08 am

I found the solution myself.

The package "babel-english" was not installed (maybe removed after prior updates), so after manual installation in the "Package Manager" program, I got it to work. Hope that will help any others with the same problem.


Return to “Fonts & Character Sets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests