LaTeX forum ⇒ Page LayoutHow to reduce the margins in ClassicThesis Template? Topic is solved

Information and discussion about page layout specific issues (e.g. header and footer lines, page formats, page numbers).
Bakpapier
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 pm

How to reduce the margins in ClassicThesis Template?

Postby Bakpapier » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:26 pm

thomasb wrote:Use the "search string" function of your editor : Ctrl-F generally

Internet says that developers of packages use requirepackage rather than usepackage.

I commented the place where it says requirepackage. But that doesnt seem to do anything (it loads fine but still with the huge margins).

User avatar
thomasb
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:54 am
Location: france

Postby thomasb » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Attach an empty file, I'll give an eye. It's in the classicthesis-config.tex file :
  1. \usepackage{classicthesis}
  2.  
  3. %----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  4. % CHANGING TEXT AREA
  5. %----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  6.  
  7. %\linespread{1.05} % a bit more for Palatino
  8. %\areaset[current]{312pt}{761pt} % 686 (factor 2.2) + 33 head + 42 head \the\footskip
  9. %\setlength{\marginparwidth}{7em}%
  10. %\setlength{\marginparsep}{2em}%

Try this :
  1. \usepackage{classicthesis}
  2.  
  3. %----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  4. % CHANGING TEXT AREA
  5. %----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  6.  
  7. %\linespread{1.05} % a bit more for Palatino
  8. \areaset[current]{412pt}{761pt} % 686 (factor 2.2) + 33 head + 42 head \the\footskip
  9. %\setlength{\marginparwidth}{7em}%
  10. %\setlength{\marginparsep}{2em}%

User avatar
Johannes_B
Site Moderator
Posts: 3585
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Postby Johannes_B » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Load and use Package geometry after your classicthesis-config file is input.

If you want to print on both sides of one sheet of paper, like a book, you need alternating margins.

If you want to print on just one side and leave the other empty, so all left hand pages stay empty when your report is bound, you need to use the documentclass option oneside.
The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

User avatar
thomasb
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:54 am
Location: france

Postby thomasb » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:14 pm

Johannes_B wrote:Load and use Package geometry after your structure tex is input.

Yep, change
  1. % Includes the file which contains all the document configurations and packages - make sure to edit this file
  2. \input{classicthesis-config}
  3.  
  4. \addbibresource{Bibliography.bib} % The file housing your bibliography
  5. %\addbibresource[label=ownpubs]{Self_Publications.bib} % Uncomment for optional self-publications
to
  1. % Includes the file which contains all the document configurations and packages - make sure to edit this file
  2. \input{classicthesis-config}
  3. \usepackage{fullpage}
  4. \addbibresource{Bibliography.bib} % The file housing your bibliography
  5. %\addbibresource[label=ownpubs]{Self_Publications.bib} % Uncomment for optional self-publications

User avatar
Johannes_B
Site Moderator
Posts: 3585
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Postby Johannes_B » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Package fullpage shouldn't be used. Package geometry is far better and has much more capabilities to change the page margins as needed.
The smart way: Calm down and take a deep breath, read posts and provided links attentively, try to understand and ask if necessary.

Bakpapier
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Postby Bakpapier » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Johannes_B wrote:Load and use Package geometry after your classicthesis-config file is input.

If you want to print on both sides of one sheet of paper, like a book, you need alternating margins.

If you want to print on just one side and leave the other empty, so all left hand pages stay empty when your report is bound, you need to use the documentclass option oneside.

Thank you very much ! Now it has the desired text width. My supervisor will be happy.

I think you are right about the alternating margins, I do want to print it two-sided. Luckily it still does that, but the effect is much less noticeable.

I'll post here if I encounter any additional problems. My thesis is pretty huge so.

Here is what it looks like now.

output.png
output.png (37.41 KiB) Viewed 457 times

Bakpapier
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Postby Bakpapier » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:06 pm

Johannes_B wrote:Package fullpage shouldn't be used. Package geometry is far better and has much more capabilities to change the page margins as needed.

http://imgur.com/a/ITR9u

So this worked, but now the chapter number (and in this case the letter A for Appendix A) has been clipped, probably due to reducing the margins.

I'll try and solve this myself first but if you have a handy solution please share it :)

Bakpapier
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Postby Bakpapier » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Bakpapier wrote:
Johannes_B wrote:Package fullpage shouldn't be used. Package geometry is far better and has much more capabilities to change the page margins as needed.

http://imgur.com/a/ITR9u

So this worked, but now the chapter number (and in this case the letter A for Appendix A) has been clipped, probably due to reducing the margins.

I'll try and solve this myself first but if you have a handy solution please share it :)


Never mind, I just moved the chapter number to the left side of the chapter title.

Now my thesis title itself is still clipped, maybe I can just give a line break? Let me try.

Bakpapier
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Postby Bakpapier » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:20 pm

Bakpapier wrote:
Bakpapier wrote:
Johannes_B wrote:Package fullpage shouldn't be used. Package geometry is far better and has much more capabilities to change the page margins as needed.

http://imgur.com/a/ITR9u

So this worked, but now the chapter number (and in this case the letter A for Appendix A) has been clipped, probably due to reducing the margins.

I'll try and solve this myself first but if you have a handy solution please share it :)


Never mind, I just moved the chapter number to the left side of the chapter title.

Now my thesis title itself is still clipped, maybe I can just give a line break? Let me try.

Okay the title is now also no longer clipped.

Thank you all for your help :)


Return to “Page Layout”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests