LaTeX forum ⇒ Document ClassesLaTeX Class Issue?

Information and discussion about specific document classes and how to create your own document classes.
gabe_green

LaTeX Class Issue?

Postby gabe_green » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Hello all,

I've been using LaTex for over a year now in order to create a unique resume. Recently I bought a new machine and for some reason my LaTeX document keeps giving me errors when trying to compile. When I try to compile it through TeXworks with MiKTeX it responds with "! LaTeX Error: File `res.cls' not found.". If I try to use TeXmaker is just says "Log File not found !". My code worked perfectly fine about 2 or 3 months ago but now when I actually need my resume it will not compile. Does anyone have any experience with this situation? Please don't make me go to Word for a resume :( Below I have attached my code to see if anything is wrong with it. Thank you!
Attachments
gjg resume.tex
(3.57 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

Tags:

cgnieder
Site Moderator

Postby cgnieder » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:07 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I get the same error if I use this Infominimal working example:

1. \documentclass{res}
  2. \begin{document}
  3. \end{document}

which is a very much shorted version of your example that starts with

1. \documentclass[line, 10pt]{res}

The message is quite clear IMHO:

1. ! LaTeX Error: File `res.cls' not found.

A short search on CTAN (the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network) gives me this: res which maybe the class you need.

Obviously this class is not part of TeX Live 2016 (otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the same error. It doesn't seem to be part of MiKTeX either. If I had to guess why I'd think the reason is the license of the class (nosell).

But you can always install the class yourself.

Regards
Clemens
------------------------------
chemmacros · chemformula · leadsheets · xsim

Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:03 pm

By the way, that res class is nearly 30 years old! Designed in 1989, adapted to LaTeX 2e 2001...

Stefan
Site admin

Return to “Document Classes”