LaTeX forum ⇒ Comments & WishesForum Category on Online Editors such as Monkeytex ?

General comments, feature, category or forum wishes for this LaTeX community
littlemathteacher
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:14 pm

Forum Category on Online Editors such as Monkeytex ?

Postby littlemathteacher » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi there.

Dear forum team.

Wouldn't it be nice to make this latex community a home for the users of online editors by giving them a category of their own?

An online editor is an actual editor in the webpage joined with a specific installation of LateX which you as user can't modify to fit your specific needs. In some cases the online LateX is all but transparent for the user, as it is in the case of monkeytex. For this reasen there are enough questions to be discussed. For monkeytex there aren't any Wiki, forum or even a helpdesk - at least I don't know them. There are also Scribtex and a plugin for Google Docs and others.

Shouldn't we reckon with LateX too to get more and more online, just as so many other applications do it already?

The right place for online LateX could be the top category about the different versions of LateX or the top category on the different editors, because the online Latex editors are both.

Thanks a lot.

User avatar
localghost
Site Moderator
Posts: 9206
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Braunschweig, Germany

Postby localghost » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:27 pm

littlemathteacher wrote:[...] Wouldn't it be nice to make this latex community a home for the users of online editors by giving them a category of their own? [...]

Not from my point of view. At the moment there is an insufficient number of users to justify that. And further diversification of the forum would let its structure become unclear.
littlemathteacher wrote:[...] For this reasen there are enough questions to be discussed. For monkeytex there aren't any Wiki, forum or even a helpdesk - at least I don't know them. There are also Scribtex and a plugin for Google Docs and others. [...]

This is a problem of Monkeytex and should be addressed to its operators. And by the way they may should open a forum for discussions.
littlemathteacher wrote:[...] Shouldn't we reckon with LateX too to get more and more online, just as so many other applications do it already? [...]

Not in my opinion. And I'm not interested what other applications do. There will never be only a single document - whether with or without confidential content - that leaves my local machine and goes "into the cloud". Such applications are nice to test minimal examples while working out solutions for forums like this. But not more. In my eyes there are too many considerations like server outage. I think that "cloud computing" is a trend that can be bucked.
littlemathteacher wrote:[...] The right place for online LateX could be the top category about the different versions of LateX or the top category on the different editors, because the online Latex editors are both. [...]

I don't think that a modification of the forum structure is necessary at the moment. In the meantime according requests can be posted in the »Editors → Others« forum. We will see if there are users able to answer them. But if I see the number of replies to other related topics you opened, there are legitimate doubts [1,2]. So it's very unlikely in the near future that this sort of applications will get its own category here.

[1] View topic: Users of Monkeytex here!
[2] View topic: MonkeyTeX


Best regards
Thorsten
LaTeX Community Moderator
How to make a "Minimal Example"
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes


¹ System: openSUSE 42.2 (Linux 4.4.52), TeX Live 2016 (vanilla), TeXworks 0.6.1


Return to “Comments & Wishes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest