LaTeX forum ⇒ KileNo Document compilable Topic is solved

Information and discussion about Kile, an integrated LaTeX environment for Linux KDE
Arya
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:12 pm

No Document compilable

Postby Arya » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi :D

I had recently update to Kile Version 2.1.2 using KDE Development Platform 4.8.5 "release 2". And I have a problem every time I try to compile any document, for example:
  1. \documentclass[10pt,a4paper]{article}
  2. \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
  3.  
  4. \begin{document}
  5.  
  6. this is a test
  7.  
  8. \end{document}

When I compile I got the next message:
  1. ./test.tex:1:Missing \begin{document}. ?
  2. /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls:Overfull \hbox (20.0pt too wide) in paragraph
  3. [LaTeX] 1 error. 0 warnings, 1 badbox

I also get the same error when I compile on the Terminal. If I create the PDF from the DVI I get a blank page before the document.

I don't see any problem with the documents so I don't know how to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance to any help you can give me
Last edited by Arya on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin
Posts: 8460
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi Arya,

welcome to the board!

This path looks wrong: /usr/share/texmf/texlatex/base/article.cls. It should be /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls, there's a slash missing. Is it a typo, or is there such a problem with the installation?

Is your file article.cls valid, i.e. the real class file? Perhaps post it here, as attachment, if in doubt.

In any case, it's not a Kile problem.

Stefan
Site admin

Arya
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Postby Arya » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 pm

Hi Stefan

thanks for the answer :D

Yes is a typo, sorry, the path is exactly as you posted. :oops:

I create the document in kile in new-> LaTeX Document -> article.

To compile I always do latex (alt+2) and to create the pdf I do DVItoPDF (alt+9)

as you requested, I had attached the file test.tex and the resulting pdf file

thanks

Arya
Attachments
test.pdf
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
test.tex
(121 Bytes) Downloaded 158 times

Arya
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Postby Arya » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 pm

I almost forgot to tell you something

I had asumed that kile is the problem because I had tryed to compile some old documents that haven't got any erros messages in older versions of kile :?

Thanks

Arya

User avatar
Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin
Posts: 8460
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 pm

The file seems ok, the PDF file text starts at page 2 because of the overfull box before. At least it produces the PDF document.

Please post the article.cls file as attachment. I guess this one is not correct, because of the error message.

Stefan
Site admin

Arya
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Postby Arya » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Here is the file article.cls

Hope yo find something :|

Arya
Attachments
article.cls
(20.09 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

User avatar
Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin
Posts: 8460
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:48 pm

It looks completely normal at first sight. We had to check, since sometimes orginal files are modified or overwritten, I noticed it several times with HTML formatted files instead of the TeX files.

Nothing to see yet, for me, please attach the .log file which belongs to the test file.

Stefan
Site admin

Arya
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Postby Arya » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 pm

I had run a test using book and I got the same error, so I don't think the problem is in the .cls file
Attachments
test.log
this is the log for the file test.tex
(12.66 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

User avatar
Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin
Posts: 8460
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Postby Stefan Kottwitz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:56 pm

In the .log file I can see the cause:

  1. l.1 ï
  2. »¿\documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}


Right at the beginning of your file there are invalid characters, which you probably did not see in the editor. Try removing it with another editor or generate a new file.

Stefan
Site admin

Arya
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Postby Arya » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks Stefan

but I can't see those characters with kile or kwrite. Also this is a new document, I didn't write the header, I have used the default header from kile. I believe this has to be a bug for this version, because if I compile any of this files in my old laptop, with an older version of kile, anything works properly

but thanks you, now I knew where is the problem, now I need to find why. You were very nice :D


Return to “Kile”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest