So after a clean installation of Ubuntu 11.04, I downloaded the web install-tl to install texlive 2011 doing a full installation following the instructions in the guide http://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texli...#x1-170003.1.1
Installation went through fine and I added to my $HOME/.profile
PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux:$PATH; export PATH
MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf/doc/man:$MANPATH; export MANPATH
INFOPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf/doc/info:$INFOPATH; export INFOPATH
Now when I open the terminal and do 'tex' I see that I am using 2011 instead of the native 2009 shipped with the distro, great. I can compile .tex files and all the rest from the terminal. all seems to be good.
I try and compile something in Kile at this point, but it fails because of being unable to find .sty files (that are definitely in the 2011 texlive package) so I find this is strange and discovered when looking at the output that Kile is actually still using texlive 2009.....sigh....
Now I went back to the terminal as root and did echo $PATH and found that actually as root my PATH variable hadn't changed and when I ran tex at the terminal I got the 2009 verion, so thought maybe this had something to do with it, because perhaps it needed to update the PATH globally or something for Kile to recognise, so I went to etc/environment and added
and went to etc/manpath.config and added
MANPATH_MAP /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux \
Now at the terminal running as root tex does show the 2011 version, great (This also means tlmgr runs in root at the terminal which is nice as before it only found tlmgr under user and wouldn't let me make changes to packages). However I try Kile again and nope, still attempting to use 2009.
OK, at this stage I'm totally confused and start googling, I find an article by someone who seems in a very similar situation to me except not ubuntu 11.04, http://theunspokenwords.net/blog/Inf...h-texlive-2011
The jist is that kile being a KDE application only sees the KDE environment variables so you need to go to the $HOME/kde folder create an env folder and make a file path.sh with the definitions contained in it. I think this is finally going to solve it for me, restart, hurriedly run Kile, but nope same errors again!